Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Forbidden Vancouver


Tonight I took another very interesting tour of Gastown.  Forbidden Vancouver runs three tours, I took the Prohibition Tour last year, the first year that Will Woods the founder of Forbidden Vancouver did a tour.  Tonights tour was called "The Lost Souls of Gastown".  It was a walking tour and lasted about and hour and 15 minutes, not too far to walk, interesting - even for a history buff from Vancouver and something I'd recommend before dinner in Gastown - you'll have so much more appreciation for our first town centre and the eatery you choose.

Tiffany - or would that be "Sarah" our tour guide from the late 1800s gave us a tour through Gastown which included Vancouver's longest operating hotel - the Victorian opened in 1898.  Told a story about Klondike Kate and her attachment to Vancouver, and our famous fire.  There was more but I shouldn't spoil it for you.  Go on the tour - I recommend it.  So if you are interested in Prohibition in Vancouver, Lost Souls of Gastown or Pimps, Prostitutes and Show Girls you should visit www.forbiddenvancouver.ca.

I have my own Klondike Kate - the lovely and talented Gillian Campbell who stared for years in Dawson City and who continues to delight audiences on stage and off - talk about a loving lovely character.  I'm looking forward to her Live Goldrush Review show complete with feather boas, sparkling jewelry, long legs, tight corsets and dancing girls on June 15th, 2 pm at St. James Community Centre, 3214 West 10th Avenue, Vancouver.  For tickets go to www.brownpapertickets.com.

Gastown has many really superb restaurants creating great atmosphere and groovy food....I almost stayed for dinner after the tour but I came back to the house just in case a guest or two might need me.  And anyway, I know I'm not so bad in the kitchen either.  I've been working on a new breakfast, I think I'll call it the "Raj".  Picture of it is below beside Sarah and the original Klondike Kate!


No comments:

Post a Comment