Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Cap Bridge and Espana



Cuddle up close to the computer because what I am going to tell you is very important.     IF YOU VISIT VANCOUVER YOU NEED TO GO TO ESPANA FOR A MEAL - I'd call it a feast.  Here's what happened earlier today...

Capilano Suspension Bridge held a party for tourism people.  Cap Bridge is a terrific place to visit.  The proximity to nature is second to none - Absolutely.  What has been created there is definitely worth the price of admission.  It is like a symphony of nature and architecture high above a river.  It does cost to get in but if you appreciate the efforts of man and the accomplishments of nature you will feel that the cost is worth it.

The function was fine;  we wandered around before getting to the actual function.  I love the suspension bridge.  I always have this feeling that I might jump or somehow fall and I am always so glad that I get across without succumbing to my secret desire.  Then we walked the paths in the forest, and on/over the Tree Tops Walk which I don't think I have truly appreciated till now.  What an amazing feat of engineering....and so stable.  We stopped to take a picture of some trout.  It is so weird but they were all swimming in the same direction, round and round - clockwise.  What would happen if one of them went the wrong way?  Would he/she get a ticket?

Then more walking along the Nature Trail - you'll have to go there to get the correct names because I don't remember them but it was very enjoyable - one is a couple of hundred metres above the River.  Yup, it is quite a drop.

The reception was next and it was fine.  Bunch of tourism professionals smoozing.  But I got pretty hungry and needed to find some din dins.

We went to "Espana" at 1118 Denman Street.  Spanish Tapas.  And OMG was it GOOD!  Nothing I ordered was short of a kitchen miracle.  Flavours fresh crisp, clean and plentiful.  (If this was the old days the restaurant could be named "House of Flavours")  We had 6 tapas and one dessert, a bottle of Bobal and some sherry - which went so well with my dessert I was having trouble keeping still.  Our server, Holly took some photos of the restuarant for me - she was very helpful with the menu choices, but really if you like food I'm sure you could have picked anything blindfolded and been happy.  So my advice!  Go to Espana one night in Vancouver - you'll love it!  No reservations, so either go early or be prepared to wait because this is a place worth waiting for.

That dessert was awesome....................................Oh, I should tell you one more thing.  It is a small restaurant, and one of the owners used to work out of Bin 941 which is a little bit the same - cheek by jowl.  You might meet your neighbour and you might not.  The first couple next to us didn't talk to us at all, the next couple did - I think we are going to visit each others places in Vancouver and Yucatan, Mexico.  That's the type of place Espana is, people are friendly and the food is fantastic.

Let me see....there is that thread of a bridge, the water below and a lot of air between. Don't rock the boat.

Espana - okay, my iPhone doesn't take the best of photos. And I don't like photos of people in a public setting without getting permission. (This photo is darkened to protect the innocent.)

Espana with a little art wall showing. I saw near the window and it wasn't quite so dark. The decor is quite secondary to the flavour....

No comments:

Post a Comment